Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2010

The Temples of Angkor: Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and others.

Oh man. It was 4.20am when my alarm woke me up. But it is what you need to do, if you like to see the fabulous sunrise above Angkor Wat.

Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor

To bad it was cloudy so after waiting a while I decided to walk around.
Von 20100714-Angkor
Damn many tourists had the same idea. Between those tourists locals try to sell coffee and rent chairs for a few bucks.

Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor

As you can see on the next picture, this was what everybody was waiting for. The change of color.
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor

And I was really impressed by the moat surrounding Angkor Wat. Imagine you need to dig that.
Von 20100714-Angkor

Next stop Angkor Thom. This is the southgate here.
Von 20100714-Angkor

And it actually features the most impressive temple in my opinion. Bayon, the temple of the smiling faces.
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor

I made more pictures in Angkor Thom.
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor

We left Angkor Thom through the victory gate and visited a few smaller temples before reaching Ta Prohm, the Tomb Raider Temple. The best about this temple are all those trees having grown around the stone structure and seeing those roots hugging walls.
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor
Von 20100714-Angkor

The last temple of the day was Banteay Kdei or something like that.
Von 20100714-Angkor

This concludes the small Temple Circuit after only four hours of sightseeing in Siem Reap. Tomorrow I am going on the Big Circuit. More temples :).

After the circuit I went to a pharmacy and wanted to buy some insect repellent. The nice lady gave me the most expensive product for 7.9 USD. It took a few seconds and I nearly paid the stuff before I discovered the cheaper philipinian product on an other shelf. Only 1.3 USD. Sometimes I really hate those vendors.

Keine Kommentare: