Freitag, 9. Juli 2010

The Temples of Angkor: Preah Ko, Bakong and Lolei

Three days ago I took the bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. I still don't know why it took like 6 hours for a distance of maybe 200km and a driver going at least 90km/h. Does not matter. After the usual scams I reached my hostel.

I was so tired and went for something to eat. Actually a walking tourist is frowned upon. The dumb fucker could take a Tuktuk and pay the driver. I don't think it is funny anymore that every Tuktuk Driver thinks he is the best and if I have declined one just seconds ago another one offers me his service before I got to walk 3 meters.

On the other hand. Siem Reap is South East Asia. Far better than anything you have seen in Thailand. Thailand is so westernized that I can't see the good stuff anymore. I really like Siem Reap. No towering hotels just nice 2 level french colonial style buildings.

The day of the defeat I spent reading a lot and walking around town. Before deciding what I will do the last days in Cambodia or the last days of my travelling. I decided to stop worrying if I miss something special and just go with the flow again.

Germany lost against Spain at 3 something in the morning. Still all the people who where watching with me said the german team was the best this worldcup. Why the hell did the spanish find their game against Germany. All the games before Spain was a shadow of themselves and against Germany they start shining.

Time to go temple exploring. I bought a 7-day pass valid for the next month and it cost me 60 USD. But I think it is a good investment. So this is the story of yesterday. My first day exploring the Temples of Angkor.

I slept 5 hours before I finally got up and met my Tuktuk Driver. Ten Dollars going to the Roluo Village, where three temples are worth visiting. The lonely planet recommends visiting them early because they are the oldest temples around.
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage

Preah Ko
It was a short drive. Maybe 20 minutes for the 15km and I was amazed at the first temple. This is it. This is what I was hoping. This is Cambodia. Ok. Only a small part but the cambodian people can be proud of this part of their history.
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage

Actually I did not spent much time at each of the temples. Still it was worth it. Maybe it would have been different, if I knew more about the history of the Khmer Empire and Angkor.

A short drive later we arrived at Bakong.
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage

It was damn hot. And pretty amazing. Climbing those stairs where each step is little bit higher than my knee.

Finally going the last temple Lolei
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage
Von 20100709-SiemReap_RoluosVillage

The temple site is a monastry today. So I was walking around the temple and all those monks where doing there monk thing: being monks ;).

All in all the trip took two hours. But it was enough action for the day. I went back to Siem Reap and had a thought about what to do next. Reading a book won out. So that was what I was doing today. Tomorrow will be temple day again.

Keine Kommentare: