Dienstag, 13. Juli 2010

The Temples of Angkor: Beng Mealea

To much time at hand in Siem Reap. I was lazy. And then there was the world cup. Sleeping took place during the day. Games started here late at night 1.30am.

So what happened after my last post. Pub Crawl, where I obtained the Angkor What? T-Shirt from the bar with the same name. All the time I have seen one of those Shirts in Singapore or Malaysia I wanted to have one. Mission Accomplished.

I was to damn tired to watch Germany win against Uruguay, but I have seen the game at least twice on the next day. Strange but true. Everywhere you go there is a screen and it is showing games. Either live or repeats.

I watched the final on Sunday night and impressed the crowed with my prediction of the final score and the type of game they could expect. But that meant staying up till 4 o'clock on Monday morning. I spent the morning in bed and the afternoon in the indoor pool.

But today I finally managed again to visit a temple. The lonely planet praises this one as the one temple with a Indiana Jones feeling. So I decided to take a Tuktuk to this temple. 70km going in a Tuktuk one way. But actually it was faster and more comfortable than my last bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap.

I saw fields and pigs and houses and stuff.
Von 20100713-BengMealea
Von 20100713-BengMealea
Von 20100713-BengMealea

Finally we reached Beng Mealea at first I was walking around the temple alone.
Von 20100713-BengMealea
Von 20100713-BengMealea
Von 20100713-BengMealea
Von 20100713-BengMealea
Von 20100713-BengMealea

And then I got a guide. Let's be clear. He attached himself to me. He pushed his right breast up and pointed in one direction. Strange greeting. I followed him because I was curious and he did not look dangerous. After climbing over a lot of stones far away from the wooden path. I finally understood what he wanted to tell me:
Von 20100713-BengMealea

After that he guided me over stones where a single fault in stepping correctly could have resulted in an injury. But wow I was finally like Indiana Jones (like the Lonely Planet promised) and I was missing my whip.
Von 20100713-BengMealea

Look at the next picture. I was walking this way.
Von 20100713-BengMealea

You are never able to do this kind of stuff without security equipment and signing your death agreement in Europe.
Von 20100713-BengMealea
Von 20100713-BengMealea

All to fast the temple exploration was over and I was sitting in my Tuktuk going 70km the other way again.

Tomorrow I will do normal touristy stuff. Watching Angkor What at Sunrise. I need to get up at half past four. So good night where ever you are.

Keine Kommentare: