Dienstag, 15. Juni 2010

From the last evening in George Town to Phuket and the Khai 3 Islands Tour

Again a few days since the last post. Those of you having Facebook know of my ranting about Patong Beach, but I need to make an update for the rest.

Being in George Town was probably the highlight of my Malaysia trip. I met so many interesting new people and we had a blast with the public viewings. OK. It is Asia, you won't find the atmosphere like in Europe and the temperature is slightly higher, but nevertheless every bar has a screen and you are watching soccer.
Von 20100615-PenangToPhuket

After the Saturday evening game, my roommates where still asleep when I went to the airport. David a german guy, who was travelling with Jonas and Stefan, went with me to the airport. We had the same flight and both of us where flying because we are needing the 30 day visa instead of the 14 day land-based travel visa.
Von 20100615-PenangToPhuket

It is really interesting how fast groups form and split up again, only to be reformed a few days later in a different location. Because David had not booked a hotel in Phuket, he decided to join me, while I was going to the Bodega in Patong Beach. Sometimes I really need to check my sanity and I definitely need to inform myself more about the places I am going to be.
Von 20100615-PenangToPhuket

I read about Patong Beach that it would be a party location and on the website of my hostel, that we are not allowed to bring any overnight guests. Sounds good for me, because I was sleeping in a dorm room and it could get a bit annoying if some people do bedsport while I try to sleep.

What I did not take into account while booking was that I should think about prostitution and the according sex tourism. So far I have been to fairly high price countries. Even Malaysia is high price compared to other countries in South East Asia. Patong Beach is one of the famous destinations for single old male travellers who are looking for certain kind of fun. It is a very hard contrast for me. Just looking at the beach you see a lot of guys relaxing around and almost no woman.

After checking in David and I went for lunch. On the way to a suitable restaurant and walking around afterwards. You normally get past all those massage parlors. The woman and maybe not womans are really aggressive. I was grabbed at my arm several times despite saying NO. On the other hand it was a nice training of my Hapkido skills. Just moving the arm in a certain way without any force and I was free again. ;) Still I was kinda pissed off. I so thought I am wrong here.
Von 20100615-PenangToPhuket

David and myself decided that we can't stand whole days in Patong, but the hostel is payed and it is normal in Thailand that there will be no refunds. So we were starting to plan a day trip for the next day.

In the evening we convinced our roommate Laura and another guy to join us for dinner. The power of a female bodyguard. ;) I was walking ahead like always, Laura a short step behind me and then David and the other guy. I glanced back a few times and saw that the guys still had problems with the arm grabbing while I was not bothered. Maybe I am looking Asian enough and that means I am poor. Finally after Laura started to make angry faces at the massage girls we found our way along the street without any problems at all. :)

First watching Ghana and Serbia in a nice bar. Then going to bed at 2300. Getting up again at 0100 to watch Germany against OZ. The atmosphere in Penang was far better, but now I have seen the best team so far. The Aussi guy in the seat in front of me looked kinda depressed the whole game. I should have spent him a beer.

The next day around lunchtime we where picked up for a snorkeling and swimming tour to three islands. At least two of the islands are a complete waste of time. I don't want to know how crowded those islands are when it is actually season and not the off-season like now.
Von 20100615-PenangToPhuket
Von 20100615-PenangToPhuket
Von 20100615-PenangToPhuket

The snorkeling from the boat at the third island Khai Nui was really good, except for the damn jelly fishes. A lot of my skin was burning afterwards and the jelly fishes where easily coconut size.
To summarize: Everything I did was far to touristic for my taste. I need to get back to the backpackers life. I will be leaving for Koh Phi Phi tomorrow and hopefully meet my irish roommates from Pulau Penang again. Before that I will have a bit of shopping here in Patong Beach and then maybe a night out. But perhaps only going to the bar on the other side of the street and watching football. To bad that I am all alone this day. David is leaving already for Koh Phi Phi and Krabi. Perhaps we meet again at the Full Moon Party on the island next to Koh Samui.

Keine Kommentare: