Montag, 15. Februar 2010

Cycle Tour ( Day 1) From Christchurch to Methven

I am fairly stupid but I did my first real challenge. 103 km on one day.


Cycle Tour New Zealand auf einer größeren Karte anzeigen

I was leaving far to late today. But I wanted to say goodbye to a few other people from people from Kiwi Basecamp. So many of us are leaving today that all did a little bit to much partying last night. I went to bed at 1 o'clock because I wanted to be fit enough.

So I left at 1000 and went to the post office. My backpack is now on the way to Auckland. Hopefully Tim will receive it. So my real start time is more like 1030 to 1100.

The first 50 km to Darfield a thing to my head. I was bored out of my mind. Straight street, virtually no difference in the landscape. I was already beginning to think this whole stuff is not worthwhile. In Darfield I thought I should stop for the night and read my book. You can't imagine how bored I was.

Von 20100215-ToMethven

I was thinking the whole time I should stop in the next town and just drop to bed. But there was no town coming. Always those small villages. Nothing interesting. After Darfield the road picked up and got interesting. It was hilly now and really nice Views but bad weather.

Von 20100215-ToMethven

There were several moments at 70 km where I thought that I can't go on. But there was nothing for a sleeping accomodation. So I needed to carry on. At roundabout 80 km I finally reached the highlight of the day. Rakaia Gorge.

Von 20100215-ToMethven

The other side. I need to go down on this side and back up the other side.

Von 20100215-ToMethven

I talked to a nice Kiwi Lady where I shot the pictures. She told me that I can do it. Reaching Methven I mean. There will be only one ascend and then I will be fine. She wisely did not tell me that the one ascend is like 2 km and 8%. I should have stayed at the lodge in the gorge.

I finally made it. The way from there on was mostly rolling downhill to Methven. 11 km with no effort at all.

Now I am the only guest in my hostel, because the village is a ghost town. Life is only here in winter during the ski season. So I will be on the road again tomorrow. I believe it will be somewhat around 80 km, but mostly downhill because I will be going in direction of the coast again.

Keine Kommentare: