Ok... I have done stranger things. Yesterday evening a girl visiting Kiwi Basecamp gave a concert in a bar. They told me it should be a punkrock gig. I have not been to one in a very long time, so I decided to join Nora, Marina, Heike and Stefan on their walk halfway through the city.
We arrived at Al's Bar and after paying the entry fee, we were part of the audience. I want to write something like perfect punkrock. :) But I am not so sure, because Monica was a one person combo. She played an acoustic guitar and sang. There were no drums and I was somehow missing the bass guitar.
Nevertheless the girl rocked. Screaming loud guitars with almost no melody and something that could have been an english text. I really thought I got better in english. Maybe I still need to learn a lot.
After maybe three songs I thought that it was actually worthwhile. I had fun and the music was not as bad as I first thought. A great thing about punk is, that you should not have any expectations. So you won't be disappointed.
So here is her Website: Monica and the Explosion
After that we went to the Bar Saints and Sinners of the Base Hostelgroup. There was a live band, too. Mostly harmless. ;) Still nice to hear after the previous attack on my ears.
While I am mentioning Concerts. On next tuesday there will be a Faith No More concert here in Christchurch. I am thinking about staying two additional days. Normally I would leave on monday in direction of Queenstown. I can get my Bike today. So that leaves me with only a few things left to do here in the city. But maybe I go to the concert. It just means I am losing two more days. I am unsure but it would be perfect drifting.
2 Kommentare:
Yeah, punk is definitely not limited to electric guitars and drums... I believe I've seen three fomer-punk-turned-acoustic artists during my concert-going career:
Rocky Votolato (ex Waxwing)
Chuck Ragan (ex Hot Water Music)
Nikola Sarcevic (Millencolin)
All of them were great live experiences. Unless you experience it, you don't believe how energetic acoustic guitar performances can be. :)
By the way, from the artists mentioned, I very much recommend Rocky Votolato. Great stuff. And a great name too, his real one actually. How cool is that?!
Concert going career??? ;)
Ok... I won't go to Faith No More. They want like 99 NZD. I don't think I want to spent that much on a concert.
Kommentar veröffentlichen