Cycle Tour New Zealand auf einer größeren Karte anzeigen
I got up at 6.30am. At 7 something was sunrise and I wanted to use every available second where the sun is shining. So I left beautiful Wanaka.
| Von 20100225-WanakaToHaast |
My route guided me through plain where I could observe part of the sunrise.
| Von 20100225-WanakaToHaast |
After that I was bound to travel the side of Lake Hawea for a little while.
| Von 20100225-WanakaToHaast |
The worst part was the race against the time. I could not wait anywhere and needed to be always moving. I was really hating this part of the trip, because I had headwind again. The forecast predicted a change to sw but I was out of luck. So I fought the wind and myself because it was the first time I wanted to be back at the office and do some stupid coding. Maybe switching my problem with Jans Oracle and Eclipse affection.
I went on and met a lot of cyclers going in the other direction. Always with light equipment. Maybe this should have told me something. The next part was switching lakes.
| Von 20100225-WanakaToHaast |
The wind was still blowing from north and I was going there. In Makarora I thought about dropping out and taking a break for the day. It is like 65km and the next day going for the pass would have been easier. But no. I was on time. So I moved on.
The landscape changed to a valley like landscape and I was travelling to my doom.
| Von 20100225-WanakaToHaast |
Haast Pass. 600m high. I needed to be there at 1500 to be on time and reaching Haast at 1800. I did not make it. 1615 I reached the pass.
| Von 20100225-WanakaToHaast |
I was irritated, because my sunglasses where fogging and it was rather wet. Everything was wet. Even my brakes. It took me a while to realize I was now in a rainforrest. This was the best part of today and easily the most scenic of my whole trip. I have never been to a rainforrest and got to do a really challenging downhill run.
| Von 20100225-WanakaToHaast |
I did not take many pictures after that, because I had to much fun speeding the last 63km away. After the first three missed waterfalls I did not care about them anymore. There where so many of them and each had something different to offer. It was by far the best experience on the bike. Can You believe it? Rainforrest? Whoa!!!
I reached Haast and my hostel at 8 o'clock. I thought several times that this city is an illusion and now I am in really small village for two nights before I move up the west coast. Preferrably Fox Glacier. But I don't know if I want to do a 100km leg again.
I am alive and still rocking. I have had the most beautiful bikerun of my life and would do that again, if someone carries me up to Haast Pass.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen