Somehow you can't always top any experience. At least not immediately afterwards. I settled back to do a bit of nature walking and sightseeing.
The weather was fairly great so I got the first really good pictures of Lake Taupo.
Lake Taupo is a crater lake. The lake is considered a dormant volcano and after talking to a few peoples, the volcano is overdue some release. The last explosion was bigger than Mt. Pinatubo on the Philippines in the last years. So there is some wild action to be expected. Maybe not in our lifetime.
I cycled to the Waikato River. New Zealands longest river. There is a nice MTB Track I wanted to take. But somehow I ended up on the pedestrian walk and was not allowed to cycle. But I got some nice shots in:
Pushing and cursing I got my bike to the first destination of the day. The Huka Falls. One of the nices waterfalls in New Zealand. I think a lot of the waterfalls on the downhill from Haast Pass are actually nicer. Maybe I like high falls with less water better than not so high falls with impressive amounts of water.
After the short snack at the Huka Falls Cafe I went cycling through the tunnel under Highway 1 and came to second destination of the day: Crater of the Moon. CotM is a thermally active area with vents, hot mud pools and craters. It really looks nice and despite the danger signs quite peaceful.
After coming back to Taupo I am relaxing. Tomorrow I will be cycling again. Destination is Roturoa and it will be 90km ride.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen