Mittwoch, 10. März 2010

A walk in the park.

So this is Abel Tasman.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman

I booked a Water Taxi to go up to Tonga Bay and then I wanted to walk down to Torrent Bay. Should be a half day trip and in the afternoon the Taxi would get me back to Marahau. Not everything goes as planned.

But all in all everything went well. The day started with getting into the boat while the boat was still on the street.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman

They essentially drove the boat into the water until it started swimming.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman

And then it picked up speed out of the bay.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman

It was actually quite a nice ride. No bumpy waves and lots of sunshine until we reached a seal colony.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman

After that I disembarked at Tonga Bay and was half way to the track, when I noticed that I forgot the map. :) Decisions... I just thought, stick to the sign that is saying Bark Bay. Bays are a good thing. There you'll have a chance to get back into a taxi.

So I walked and hoped my first hour on the track today, that this is the correct way to Torrent Bay. And the track was going up and downhill the whole time. I would have vomitted, if I needed to push my bike these steep climbs. Whoever said, that this will be an easy walk, won't get me to take an intermediate walk.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman

The nice thing about the track is, that there are many tourists. This is a worse thing too. You are never alone. So I walked until I finally found a map at Bark Bay. I was good on the foot and went on to the first pickup point at torrent bay.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman
Von 20100310-AbelTasman
Von 20100310-AbelTasman
Von 20100310-AbelTasman
Von 20100310-AbelTasman

I arrived like three hours ahead of pickup time. So after a short break I decided to go the Anchorage Bay the second pickup spot. I was so early that I did the low tide route there too. The guide has said, that we probably can't take that one, because of the timing.

Von 20100310-AbelTasman
Von 20100310-AbelTasman

So I was there two hours before pickup time. And no taxi could take me earlier. I had while to relax in the sun and wait.
What a surprise: Hiking is definitely not my sport. The scenery was nice, but still with a nice road and a bike I would have had more fun. Still if You go to New Zealand You need to take a walk. Any walk through the bush will do. It is like Bungy Jumping. :)

Tomorrow I will probably going for a walk again. I haven't seen the entrance to the park yet and there is a lookout over the bay. Looks like easy walking distance.

Keine Kommentare: