Montag, 15. März 2010

Nelson an hour at the museum...

Sometimes I wonder what small provincial museums could have for their potential and what I essentially get from it. I was not expecting much when I went to go to the museum here in Nelson. Several people have told me, that the museum is not that great but today was definitely indoor weather. At least in the morning.

I like local museums. They have the opportunity to show you some of the history of the region you are in. They could be able to show the life and events that influenced normal people. And especially that one was really great here. Right now there is a exhibition about the first chinese immigrant to Nelson. I really liked the way they described his life and the challenges he faced round 150 years ago. They even went that far and put the door to his house on display.

On the other hand the normal exhibition is just a big potpourri. No real storyline just one piece of old stuff to the next. Sad. But there is so much potential. At least the entry fee was on honor base as they only liked to have donation of 5 NZD. I paid and I hope they try to improve themselves along the way. There is history here. Even if it is not several 1000 years like most museums can present in Europe.

Wellington tomorrow. I hope I won't get seasick from the bus and then 3 hour ferry ride.

Keine Kommentare: